Yoga for de-addictionIpsita Ray
The word addiction simply means dependency. A state of living where you have been trapped due to your own faulty habits. And those habits make your life miserablethat ultimately snatched away the freedom and joy of a happy living.It is as similar to the state of living in a prison and the worst part here is that you torture yourself physically, mentally and emotionallyto the great extent by falling in the bog of addiction.
Addiction is a state where an individual consumes any substance to a level where it could be dangerous to his health. An addict develops the extreme focus on the use of a particular element, be it alcohol, smoke or drugs to the extent that it takes control over his mind. Knowing the adverse effect of these substances, he still keeps assuming it. And the regular consumption of these harmful substances lead to producing unfavorable health problems.
There are some effective treatments which can be implemented to recover from any sort of addictions. One can undertake medical treatment for de-addiction which includes medication and behavioral therapy. Another method of recovering from addiction is the practice of yoga- a technique to relax the mind and the body by means of breathing exercises and mediation.
Yoga is considered as a mind-based approach to exercise, including yoga asana &Pilates. Thus, revising the focus from your thoughts and concentrating on the breathing helps to relax your state of mind. It develops a strong connection between the mind and the body. It focuses on bringing the mind and body together against forces of negativity. Helping patients to pay more attention to their overall health. It helps addicts to clear their mind and tone up their body. Encouraging them to maintain those health benefits. This sort of thinking & dedication helps the patients to remain upon their commitment even after the treatment.
How Can Yoga help in the process of de-addiction?
Unwrapping yourself from the grip of addiction might seems to be impossible but Yoga can help you to ease out from it. Yoga helps you to prevent relapse and stay in a calm & sober state. Regular practice of yoga help increases the chances of soberness and reduce cravings for alcohol & drugs. With some effective yoga asana, one can get oneself free from the bog of addiction permanently. Let’s have a look over the Yoga which helps an addict to recover for lifelong:
- Spinal Breathing Pranayama
Spinal Breathing Pranayama is a powerful asana which effects positively on your health. It helps in creating a strong intuitive connection between the mind & body. Practicing Spinal Breathing Pranayama helps keeping your mind in a relax and calm state. And increases the focus power on the present moment, it helps in modifying the addictive behaviors.
- Sit comfortably on a chair or on the floor.
- Place the hands on your knees with your palms down & eyes closed
- Inhale and imagine a white light at the base of your spine & try to drag the light up to your spine
- Exhale and imagine the white light emerging back down in the spine towards your tailbone
- Practice this breathing technique up to 10 breath cycles
- Fish Pose
Fish Pose involves great stretching of the thoracic spine, chest, and the shoulder. It also acts as an effective heart opener technique. Fish Pose also known as Matsyasana is referred to the destroyer of all diseases that helps in releasing all types of stress and anxiety.
- Start on your back. Extend your legs and place your feet together beside your back
- Uplift your chest and shoulders and rest upon your forearms, keeping your palms flat
- Start moving the hips adjacent to your elbows creating a bend in the spine, allow your head crown to rest over the floor
- Uplift your right hip, put your right hand under the hip. Similarly, uplift the left hip and put your left hand under the left hip
- Your aim is to touch below the glutes with your pinky fingers
- Continue in the same position for 5-10 breaths
- Sage Twist
Sage Yoga is a powerful yoga which helps to detoxify all the negative energy that blocked within your spine and organs. In the process of compressing and warping the internal organs, the yoga increases the stimulation of the nervous system, which helps in relaxing the mind and reducing tension.
- Sit comfortably with your legs extended in front of you
- Take a deep breath, sit up tall, straightening your spine
- Twist your right knee and place your right foot next to your left thigh
- Hold your right knee with both hands, breath out and bend your torso to the right knee
- Add a force while bringing your left elbow out the way of the right knee. Keep your left palm open with fingers spread widely
- Place your right hand at your back and slightly press it down to make your spine straight and chest to lift.
- Stay in the same pose for few breaths & repeat for the other side
Yoga is a type of exercise that increases the heart rate up as well as help in clearing the mind. Its results in delivering a higher maturity and sensational level, which helps the mind to take the right decision. Besides that, yoga inculcates a strong level of self-confidence and willpower which aids the patient to stay determined to his decision of quitting the adverse habits. And thus reducing the craving for these drugs.
If you or someone you know is facing the challenge of addiction, then yoga can help in recovering from addiction permanently. Besides, the above mention yoga asana, there is few more yoga which helps in recovering from any sort of addiction.
Looking out for expert guidance for practicing the yoga, Fitness and more provide professional yoga classes by expert trainers.